Re: [GENERAL] Problem granting usage on language c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Problem granting usage on language c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:50:59 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> When I try to grant usage on language c in 7.3b1 I get an error message
> saying I can't because the language isn't trusted. Is this different in b2?
> I can see using whether or not a language is trusted to set defaults,
> but now that access can be controlled it would be useful to grant
> access to load c functions to users that are trusted.

Looking at yesterday's CVS suggests that it is intended for untrusted
languages to only be used by superusers.

I would like to run up a trial balloon that the follwoing changes be made:
When creating new languages, untrusted ones default to not granting usage
to public and trusted ones default to granting usage to public. And that
access to languages be controlled by just the usage permission and not
whether a language is trusted or not.

The argument for this is that trusted users may want to work in an environment
where some things are blocked off to prevent shooting one's self in the foot.
So that you might want to be able to create c functions without being able
to do anything.

The risk is that the admins have to realize that granting access to untrusted
languages is giving away the keys to the castle.