Re: oid2name and relfilenode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: oid2name and relfilenode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
OK, removed from TODO.  I figured it was as useful as pg_controldata but
can see what you say that those give information that you can't get any
other way, while oid2name info can be gotten another way.  You can look
at the oid2name README for examples of its usage.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I will add these items to the TODO list, unless someone else votes.
>
> I was not thrilled with the idea of moving oid2name out of contrib
> either, but kept silent to see if someone else would complain first ...
>
> Basically I think that oid2name is a hacker's tool and not something
> users or DBAs really want as-is --- which I guess is another way of
> stating Peter's gripe that what it produces is not what the users want
> to know.  The actual useful guts of it are nothing more than
>     SELECT oid, datname FROM pg_database;
>     SELECT relfilenode, relname FROM pg_class;
> which does not seem significant enough to justify the packaging and
> documentation overhead of having another command-line tool.
>
> The only actual use-case I've seen for it so far is as a vehicle for
> computing actual database sizes on-disk; which would be better served
> by a tool that did the whole job.  What other uses do people have for
> oid2name?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073