Re: What causes a table's oid to change? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: What causes a table's oid to change?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Richard,

> I have a table with many views. I did something to cause the table to
> change oid. I don't know what I did. When I try to access the data using
> one of these views I get "ERROR:  Relation "documents" with OID 24389201 no
> longer exists". The table is fine. If I drop the view and recreate it it
> works fine. Can you tell me some of the common thing that would cause this?
> Can I "reset" the oid?

This is caused by dropping and re-creating the table.   Whenever you drop and
re-created a table, all views based on the table must be dropped and
re-created as well.   Someday, we'll fix this, but right now Postgres'
performance optimizations depend on it.

--
Josh Berkus
josh@agliodbs.com