Re: migration problem in SQL Query with date filter - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: migration problem in SQL Query with date filter
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hernan,

See http://techdocs.postgresql.org .  There are several guides there for MS
Access --> PostgreSQL migration.

> SELECT * FROM people WHERE timein > #3/1/2002 12:58#
>
> This statement selects all the records where "timein" is greater than March
1 of 2002 and 12 hours 58 minutes AM.

> The problem I have is how do I translate this kind of statement into SQL
that postgresql understand while I retain compatibility with access.

> I´m willing to change the code, but I need something that will work in
Postgresql and access

Can't be done.  MS Access uses a non-standard delimiter for dates, namely the
# sign.   Postgresql cannot accept the # sign in place of the SQL standard
single-quote '.   You will have to have slightly different code for each
database, or use an access library (such as ODBC) which does the
transformation for you.

Postges will accept readily either:

SELECT * FROM people WHERE timein > '2002-03-01 12:58';
or
SELECT * FROM people WHERE timein > to_timestamp('3/1/2002 12:58','M/D/YYYY
HH:MI');

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions