Re: update question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: update question
Date
List pgsql-novice
David,

> OK I'm new at this, so please bear with me.
> I have a postgres table that gets imported from a text
> output of a database - uns_output.
> There is another table that was created by hand with
> our entire inventory - inventory.  I would like to
> update a price column in the inventory table from the
> information in the price column of the output table.
> I'm quite sure it can be done, but I'm not really a
> trained dba and i this is beyond the scope of anything
> I've done in the past.  Both tables are indexed on a
> common field called pik_num.  Our inventory is only a
> small portion of the uns_output file so just importing
> ALL of that info would be WAY OVERKILL.

Questions:
1) Is there any way you can easily identify the relevant rows in the legacy
database and export only those?

2) If the answer to 1: is "no", then is the legacy database something you
could access directly using Perl::DBI, PHP or Python, and dynamically import
only the matching rows?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions