Re: ALTER TABLE ... ADD COLUMN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ... ADD COLUMN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 05:57:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> > I'm thinking about ALTER TABLE ... ADD COLUMN working properly when
> > child tables already contain the column.
> > There are two cases: one when specifying ALTER TABLE ONLY, and other
> > when specifying recursive (not ONLY).

> I don't like resetting attislocal here.  If you do that, then DROPping
> the parent column doesn't return you to the prior state.  I think I gave
> this example before, but consider

Huh, I don't know where I got the idea you were (or someone else was?)
in the position that attislocal should be reset.  I'll clean everything
up and submit the patch I had originally made.

thee at its end." (2nd Commandment for C programmers)