Re: Boolean output format - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Boolean output format
Date
List pgsql-general
The best way change the output style in general is a stored procedure.
However, with booleans it's simple enough that you could write it out inline
if you want:
jdavis=> create table b(a bool);
CREATE
jdavis=> insert into b values('t');
INSERT 67682 1
jdavis=> insert into b values('f');
INSERT 67683 1
jdavis=> select case when a then 'YES' else 'NO' end from b ;
 case
------
 YES
 NO
(2 rows)

The case statement basically just special cases the two values. In this case
it of course changes 't' to 'YES' and 'f' to 'NO'.

You could also make a SQL function out of it no problem:

jdavis=> create function myfn(bool) returns text as 'select case when $1 then
''YES'' else ''NO'' end;' language 'sql';

Then just use that in your selects:
jdavis=> select myfn(a) from b;
 myfn
------