Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY
Date
List pgsql-general
I did something similar using python with a simple "getnotify()" function
(part of the python pg module).

I couldn't find a similar function for perl -- strange.

I think the listening process needs to be a separate process anyway, since I
wouldn't think that an apache process would easily be able to wait for a
notification.

You could just do the cache invalidation process in another language, like
python or C, and all that would do is listen for an update, read the updated
info, and replace the cache. It should be small enough that you don't mind
straying from perl, hopefully.

Of course it is weird that perl doesn't support that. Maybe I missed something
too.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis