Re: Can Postgres cache a table in memory? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Can Postgres cache a table in memory?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 03 Oct 2002 3:03 pm, Kevin Traub wrote:
> Hello all;
>
> I'm trying to speed up a query which returns the majority of a table so and
> index isn't helpful.
> I've got more than enough RAM to hold my table so, can anyone tell me if
> there is there a way to force Postgres to cache a table in RAM?

You're probably just as well off if you let your OS deal with caching the
underlying file. What figures are you getting (use the "free" command if in
linux). It might be that you've given Postgresql *too* much memory, and
that's interfering with your OS.

Could you provide brief hardware specs, the size of the table concerned, time
taken?

--  Richard Huxton