Re: Inheritance: delete parent deletes children - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Inheritance: delete parent deletes children
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2 Oct 2002, M. I. wrote:

> But I just realized that things actually go into that "logging" table,
> not into the child tables. I wonder how the database knows which row
> in logging is related to which row in a child table.

Well, selects, inserts, updates, deletes by default go through the
inheritance tree if you do them on a parent, so select * from
logging will show rows from the child tables.  You can use ONLY
to turn off that behavior (select * from ONLY logging) should
show rows only in that particular table and not the children.