Re: cursors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: cursors
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 30 Sep 2002 5:24 pm, Hector Galicia wrote:
> Hi
> I'm new using postgressql, so my questions is about
> the use of cursors. I'm already know how to define,
> open and assign into a variable, but what I don't know
> is when the cursor is empty. Exist a function that
> tells me when the cursor is empty?

If you mean using cursors from plpgsql - check the FOUND variable. To quote
from section 23.7.3.1 of the manuals...

FETCH cursor INTO target;

 FETCH retrieves the next row from the cursor into a target, which may be a
row variable, a record variable, or a comma-separated list of simple
variables, just as for SELECT INTO. As with SELECT INTO, the special variable
FOUND may be checked to see whether a row was obtained or not.

HTH, and check Roberto Mello's cookbook at techdocs.postgresql.org

- Richard Huxton