Re: [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
Date
List pgsql-sql
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 11:28:03PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > OK, we have two db's returning statement start time, and Oracle 8 not
> > having CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.
> >
> > Have we agreed to make CURRENT_TIMESTAMP statement start, and now()
> > transaction start?  Is this an open item or TODO item?
>
> Well, I'd rather it didn't change at all. IMHO it's a feature, not a bug. In
> any case, if it does get changed we'll have to go through the documentation
> and work out whether we mean current_timestamp or now(). I think most people
> actually want now().

Well, I think we have to offer statement start time somewhere, and it
seems the standard probably requires that.  Two other databases do it
that way.  Oracle doesn't have CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in 8.X.  Can anyone
test on 9.X?

> Fortunatly where I work we only use now() so it won't really matter too
> much. Is there a compelling reason to change?

Yes, it will split now() and CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.  I personally would be
happy with STATEMENT_TIMESTAMP, but because the standard requires it we
may just have to fix CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.