Constraint problems - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From GB Clark
Subject Constraint problems
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello,

I'm trying to create a constraint that will check to see if the inserted data is found
in another column in the table.

It could be that I'm going about this the wrong way, any clues for me?

Here is the present setup data for the table.

--SNIP--

DROP SEQUENCE sysusers_user_id_seq;

CREATE SEQUENCE sysusers_user_id_seq START 1000;

DROP TABLE sysusers;

CREATE TABLE sysusers (
user_id            INTEGER DEFAULT nextval('sysusers_user_id_seq')                UNIQUE NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
username            text NOT NULL UNIQUE,
password            text NOT NULL,

createby            text NOT NULL DEFAULT 'syscreate',

status            char(1) DEFAULT 'A' CHECK (status in ('A', 'I')),
comment1            text,
comment2            text,
tstamp            timestamp DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
);

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX username_unique_idx ON sysusers (username);

INSERT INTO sysusers (username, password, createby) VALUES ('syscreate', 'testing', 'syscreate');

ALTER TABLE sysusers ADD CONSTRAINT createby_test CHECK (createby in (username));

INSERT INTO sysusers (username, password) VALUES ('gclarkii', 'testing');
--SNIP--

It is the constraint on createby that I'm trying to get to work.

Thanks for any and all help.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek           CTHULU for President - Why choose the lesser of two evils?