Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date
List pgsql-general
Neil Conway wrote:
> > The paper does recommend ext3, but the differences between file systems
> > are very small.
>
> Well, I only did a very rough benchmark (a few runs of pgbench), but
> the results I found were drastically different: ext2 was significantly
> faster (~50%) than ext3-writeback, which was in turn significantly
> faster (~25%) than ext3-ordered.
>
> > Also, though ext3 is slower, turning fsync off should make ext3 function
> > similar to ext2.
>
> Why would that be?

OK, I changed the text to:

    File system choice is particularly difficult on Linux because there are
    so many file system choices, and none of them are optimal: ext2 is not
    entirely crash-safe, ext3, xfs, and jfs are journal-based, and Reiser is
    optimized for small files and does journalling. The journalling file
    systems can be significantly slower than ext2 but when crash recovery is
    required, ext2 isn't an option.