Re: Reconstructing FKs in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Reconstructing FKs in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> >> However, if we are going to put that kind of knowledge into pg_dump,
> >> it would only be a small further step to have it dump these triggers
> >> as ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT commands instead.  Which would be a lot
> >> better for forward compatibility than dumping the raw triggers.
>
> > Wasn't there still some question about the fact that ATAC causes a
> > check of the constraint which for large tables is not insignificant.
> > I don't remember if there was any consensus on how to deal with that.
>
> Hmm, good point.  That's probably why we didn't go ahead and do it
> already...
>
> Maybe we should just put the lookup hack into the backend's CREATE
> CONSTRAINT TRIGGER code and leave it at that.

That seems reasonable.  And probably not too hard.  There might still
be cases where we can't get it, and I think we probably should at least
throw a notice on the create in that case, the admin will *probably*
ignore it, but if they want to fix the situation right away they can.