Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mario Weilguni
Subject Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Am Dienstag, 24. September 2002 08:16 schrieb Shridhar Daithankar:

> > I will play with it more and give you some more feedback.
>
> Awaiting that.

IMO there are still several problems with that approach, namely:
* every database will get "polluted" with the autovacuum table, which is undesired
* the biggest problem is the ~/.pgavrc file. I think it should work like other postgres utils do, e.g. supporting -U,
-d,....
* it's not possible to use without activly administration the config file. it should be able to work without
adminstratorassistance.

When this is a daemon, why not store the data in memory? Even with several thousands of tables the memory footprint
wouldstillbe small. And it should be possible to use for all databases without modifying a config file.

Two weeks ago I began writing a similar daemon, but had no time yet to finish it. I've tried to avoid using fixed
numbers(namely "vacuum table
after 1000 updates") and tried to make my own heuristic based on the statistics data and the size of the table. The
reasonis, for a large table 1000 entries might be
a small percentage and vacuum is not necessary, while for small tables 10 updates might be sufficient.

Best regards,Mario Weilguni