Re: [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Can I add TODO items for this:
> >     o Make CURRENT_TIMESTAMP/now() return statement start time
> >     o Add TRANSACTION_TIMESTAMP to return transaction start time
>
> I object to both of those as phrased.  If you have already unilaterally
> determined the design of this feature change, then go ahead and put that
> in.  But I'd suggest
>
>     o Revise current-time functions to allow access to statement
>       start time
>
> which doesn't presuppose the vote about how to do it.

OK, I am still just throwing out ideas.  I am not sure we even have
enough people who want statement_timestamp to put it in TODO. I do think
we have a standards issue.

My personal opinion is that most people think current_timestamp and
now() are statement start time, not transaction start time.  In the past
we have told them the standard requires that but now I think we are not
even sure if that is correct.

So, I have these concerns:
our CURRENT_TIMESTAMP may not be standards complianteven if it is, it is probably not returning the value most people
wantmostpeople don't know it is returning the transaction start time

So, we can just throw the TODO item you mentioned above with a question
mark, or we can try to figure out what to return for CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
now(), and perhaps create a TRANSACTION_TIMESTAMP.

So, do people want to discuss it or should we just throw it in TODO with
a question mark?

Pennsylvania19073