Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:14:58PM +0200, Christoph Dalitz wrote:

> > I have written a small daemon that can automatically vacuum PostgreSQL
> > database, depending upon activity per table.
> >
> Sorry if this is an FAQ, but I have not found it in the docs:
>
> Why can't PostgreSQL collect the statistic information itself automatically?
> Are there any plans to implement this?
>
> PG is the only database I know that places the burdon to keep PG's internal
> statistics in the catalog up to date upon the database user.

I think it's history. For a long time the only way to update the statistics
was duraing a vacuum which locked the table. So it was unreasonable to do
that in the background. It is only recently the ANALYZE was seperated out.

Similarly, postgresql has no cron job system, that's what cron is for. The
statistics collector now running continuously is new so it is heading in the
right direction. If you can come up with some ideas as to when to trigger
automatically, feel free to contribute a patch. It may be accepted.