Re: Temp tables and LRU-K caching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Temp tables and LRU-K caching
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Another thing I'd like to see in the near future is a configurable
> setting for the amount of memory space that can be used for temp-table
> buffers.  The current setting is ridiculously small (64*8K IIRC), but
> there's not much point in increasing it until we also have a smarter
> management algorithm for the temp buffers.  I've asked Neil to look at
> making the improved LRU-K buffer management algorithm apply to temp
> buffers as well as regular shared buffers.

Speaking of sizing, I wonder if we should query about the amount of RAM
in the machine either during initdb or later and size based on that.

In other words, if we add a GUC variable that shows the amount of RAM,
we could size things based on that value.

Pennsylvania19073