PostgreSQL consultanting oportiunity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From patrick
Subject PostgreSQL consultanting oportiunity
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

The company I work for has been using a closed source database
for a long time and now is in the process of switching to
PostgreSQL.

We made the decision to use PostgreSQL as the DB for the project I
was brought on to work on.  It was a fresh project and so it was
agreed to use a open source database like PostgreSQL.

The project schedule was changed to a more aggressive one mid-way in
design and development phase.  Hence, not a lot of R&D time was
dedicated to learning the quirks of PostgreSQL and how it would
interact with loads it was faced with.  I should also mention that
the development team lacks anyone with database administration
and/or design background.  Basically, the DB design was done by
developers like myself w/limited DB design background.

Anyway, to cut the story short, after deploying our software to the
customers and monitoring it in the field under heavy load we are
seeing a lot of performance problems that point to PostgreSQL being
the bottleneck.

To give you a rough idea we are looking at 3.8M record tables in
some customer sites.

The apparent problem may in fact not be PostgreSQL per-se but maybe
has to do with inefficient scheme and/or how our software interacts
with PostgreSQL (our SQL statements etc).

I have convinced my direct boss (VP of engineering) to consider
hiring a consultant to help look into our DB design and usage.

Ideally, we are looking for someone who has intimate knowledge of
PostgreSQL.  Someone familiar with the internals of PostgreSQL who
also knows its source base.  The reason being, if there are changes
that can be made to PostgreSQL source to improve its performance we
want to take advantage of it.

I would prefer (and encourage) any of the PostgreSQL developers
interested in this position to contact me.  Keep in mind that this
might prove to be a good place to study PostgreSQL under "stress"
and be able to apply your studies to improve PostgreSQL.

Short list of requirements:

  - DB design experience for high availability systems
  - DB tuning for performance
  - Knowledge of PostgreSQL in Linux environments
  - Must have great communication skills:
    + primarily in English (Required)
    + knowing Japanese is a plus but not required
  - C/C++ coding experience

The company is located in Los Angeles, California area.  I mention
this since most likely working from the office would be required (at
least a good portion of the time).

I would like to make it clear that I do not wish to be contacted by
any "head-hunter" as I am in no position to hire anyone.  My search
for a PostgreSQL consultant is very specific and a one time only
deal.  Just in case I was not clear, I am not a manager or a
recruiter but a developer.  So please do not allow this email to get
in the hands of any recruiter as I get enough spam w/out such
help :-)

Simply put, if you are contacting me to "fish" or to "network" to
place developers in our company, don't bother.

If I can provide more info regarding this position please contact me
via email and please include some info about yourself and the scope
of your experience/knowledge with PostgreSQL (resumes would be
great).  Please keep the email subject line somewhat relevant to
PostgreSQL so that I don't filter out your email as spam.

Thanks,

patrick keshishian
--
They who would sacrifice freedom for security will have neither.
   -Ben Franklin