Win32 rename()/unlink() questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Win32 rename()/unlink() questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I am working with several groups getting the Win32 port ready for 7.4
and I have a few questions:

What is the standard workaround for the fact that rename() isn't atomic
on Win32?  Do we need to create our own locking around the
reading/writing of files that are normally updated in place using
rename()?

Second, when you unlink() a file on Win32, do applications continue
accessing the old file contents if they had the file open before the
unlink?

Pennsylvania19073