Re: XML and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: XML and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
What do you plan to do with the XML, and how do you envision the database as a
part of that plan?

It seems like anything you'd like to do with XML in postgres you could do with
some custom types, and some stored procedures. I think that could be helpful
because you could, for example, query based on an XML element within an
attribute of a relation.

You could even share the functions, if you were so inclined.

One thing to keep in mind is that an XML document could be structured very
differently from another XML document. If you did want to store XML documents
in postgres, and you wanted to query and manipulate them inside the database,
they'd need to have a definate structure for documents within an attribute.

You can also, of course, just store the XML document in a text field and let
your app handle it.

Regards,
    Jeff