Re: problem with new autocommit config parameter and jdbc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From snpe
Subject Re: problem with new autocommit config parameter and jdbc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 11 September 2002 01:25 am, Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, snpe wrote:

> > > At least in serializable isolation level you'll probably  get different
> > > results if a transaction commits between those two selects based on
> > > whether a transaction is started or not.  Should two serializable
> > > selects in the same session see the same snapshot when autocommit is
> > > off?
> >
> > It is session, not transaction.My select don't change data and this is
> > not transaction.
>
> We're going around in circles.
>
> Does it matter if data is changed?  I don't think so, since at least in
> serializable isolation level the snapshot that is seen depends on whether
> you're in a transaction or not, and given autocommit=off I believe that
> you should get a consistent snapshot between them.
>
> If you believe it should matter, you need to give a reason.  I don't
> think it's a spec reason given that my sql92 spec draft says:
>
> "The following SQL-statements are transaction initiating SQL-
> statements, i.e., if there is no current transaction, and a
> statement of this class is executed, a transaction is initiated:
>             o <select statement: single row>
>
>             o <direct select statement: multiple rows>"
> unless it changed.
>
> There might be a compatibility reason, if so, with what and is it stronger
> than reasons to start a transaction.
>
> There might be another logical reason, if so, what is it and why does
> it matter?
>
> > My abother question, agian : why error (bad typing) start transaction ?
>
> That depends.  Given the way the spec is worded, it says nothing about
> other statements, so we need to decide those ourselves.  I don't see
> anything that implies that a select statement that errors would be
> any different than a select statement that doesn't as far as starting
> a transaction goes in my sql92 spec draft.  If you were to type in
> foo as a command, I could see a case that maybe that shouldn't be
> transaction initiating, but afair that wasn't the case you had, you
> had a select command against an invalid table name.

yes, we're going around in circles.

Ok.I agreed (I think because Oracle do different)
Transaction start
I type invalid command
I correct command
I get error

Why.If is it transactin, why I get error
I want continue.
I am see this error with JDeveloper (work with Oracle, DB2 an SQL Server)

It is not matter for me transaction or not.I get error for correct command
after invalid

I am sorry if I am confused.English is not my language.

regards
Haris Peco