Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Has there been any talk of doing incremental -snapshots of the
> > code base?
>
> I don't really see the point. Snapshots of development code are
> available from CVS anyway -- and if you're going to be running a
> pre-alpha version of a relational database, I don't think that
> knowledge of CVS is an onerous requirement.

Agreed, however it's nice to have landmarks along the way, such as a
point of stability or once a new feature gets rolled in and need some
use (ex: schemas or auto-commit).

> At any rate, the problem with releasing snapshots is that the system
> catalogs would change so often that upgrading between snapshots
> would be a headache. i.e. the changes required to upgrade from a 2
> week old development snapshot to a current snapshot would still be
> non-trivial, significantly reducing the usefulness of snapshots,
> IMHO.

Don't doubt it at all, but that reminds me: I need to add a message
reminding the developer to re-initdb when installing this version.
This is for a -devel port that'd track the new features that are being
rolled into postgresql so there's a large degree of competence assumed
when someone installs this particular version from the tree.  I've
also slapped up some big warnings to make sure that it's developers
only.  At the moment, however, I think I'll probably roll my own
tarballs when an island of stability has been found unless the
snapshot server is holding onto its snaps for several months at a
time.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden