Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
In an attempt to beef up the PostgreSQL port for FreeBSD, I've added
an option for adding additional optimization, similar to what MySQL
does by compiling the server with -O6.  I'm only compiling at -O3 with
the flag at the moment, however I wanted to ping the idea around to
make sure this isn't some land-mine that doesn't show up in the
regression tests.  My database hardware is in transition to a new
data center so I can't test this on my own at the moment.  :-/

The size difference between -O and -O3 is only 200K or so... does
anyone think that it'd be safe to head to -O6 on a wide scale?  I
don't want to cream the FreeBSD user base with a bogus recommendation.

I figure this is a database and 200KB doesn't amount to bo-diddly
compared to my data sizes so this seems acceptable in that dept.  I'm
even thinking about going so far as to have flex required for the
build dependencies and setting -Cf or -CF for building the scanner
(need to check the archives for which turned out to be faster).

I'm also tinkering with the idea of automatically turn off fsync if
optimize is set.  Objections?  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden