Re: Proposal: Solving the "Return proper effected tuple count - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposal: Solving the "Return proper effected tuple count
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway wrote:
> Sure, but that's why I am in favor of changing the tag. If you did:
>
> DELETE FROM fooview WHERE name LIKE 'Joe%';
>
> and got:
>
> MUTATED 507324 3
>
> it would mean that 3 tuples in total were affected by all of the
> substitute operations, only of of them being an INSERT, and the Oid of
> the lone INSERT was 507324. If instead I got:
>
> DELETE 0
>
> I'd be back to having no useful information. Did any rows in fooview
> match the criteria "LIKE 'Joe%'"? Did any data in my database get
> altered? Can't tell from this.

OK.  Do any people have INSTEAD rules where there are not commands
matching the original query tag?  Can anyone think of such a case being
created?

The only one I can think of is UPDATE implemented as separate INSERT and
DELETE commands.

Pennsylvania19073