Re: pgsql-server/. configure configure.in - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql-server/. configure configure.in
Date
Re: pgsql-server/. configure configure.in  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-committers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Well, the user was confused because they had Ant but it said Ant doesn't
> > work. I don't see the harm in giving them more of a clue than "ant
> > doesn't work".
>
> Yes, "Ant doesn't work. Check config.log for the cause."  That's why Ant
> puts out error messages after all, so we don't have to guess in advance.
> ;-)

I just did a check by removing the JAVA_HOME check and found that the
Ant failure line suggesting the cause appeared on line 164 of a 235 line
config.log file.  It certainly doesn't jump out at me.

I don't understand.  Are you trying to save bytes in configure.in?  If
we can make problem resolution easier, why wouldn't we do that?

configure:2975: checking whether to build Python modules
configure:3003: result: yes
configure:3010: checking whether to build Java/JDBC tools
configure:3021: result: yes
configure:3028: checking for jakarta-ant
configure:3061: result: no
configure:3028: checking for ant
configure:3046: found /usr/local/bin/ant
configure:3058: result: /usr/local/bin/ant
configure:3069: checking whether /usr/local/bin/ant works
configure:3093: /usr/local/bin/ant -buildfile conftest.xml 1>&2
Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.
  We cannot execute java
configure:3096: $? = 1
configure: failed java program was:
public class conftest {
    int testmethod(int a, int b) {
        return a + b;
    }
}
configure: failed build file was:
<project name="conftest" default="conftest">
 <target name="conftest">
  <javac srcdir="." includes="conftest.java">
  </javac>
 </target>
</project>
configure:3112: result: no
configure:3116: error: ant does not work