Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Steve Howe wrote:
> Hello Bruce,
>
> Friday, September 6, 2002, 9:52:18 PM, you wrote:
>

> BM> I am not any happier about it than you are.  Your report is good because
> BM> it is the first case where returning the wrong value actually breaks
> BM> software.  You may be able to justify adding a fix during beta by saying
> BM> it is a bug fix.
> Actually I think it must have happened with someone else, but they
> must have quit using rules or something...
> Actually I can't ensure security in the system without rules.
>
> BM> Of course, someone is going to have to generate a patch and champion the
> BM> cause.  This stuff doesn't happen by magic.
> I understand your point. I just was hoping to see more concern about
> the issue by the developers... but that's been broken for months.
>
> Unhappily I can't do it myself because it would take weeks to get
> familiar with the inners of PostgreSQL...

Well, there was a big discussion, and I did bring up the issue in early
August to see if I could get a resolution to it and was told no
conclusion could be made.

I suggest you read the TODO detail on the item and make a proposal on
how it _should_ work and if you can get agreement from everyone, you may
be able to nag someone into doing a patch.

Pennsylvania19073