Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Steve Howe wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> PostgreSQL *still* has a bug where PQcmdStatus() won't return the
> number of rows updated. But that is essential for applications, since
> without it of course we don't know if the updates/delete/insert
> commands succeded. Even worst, on interfaces like Delphi/dbExpress the
> program will return an error message and rollback transaction thinking
> nothing have been updated. In other words, unusable.
>
> This render views useless (I either use view with rules and don't get
> my program working) and won't allow me to proper use security settings
> on PostgreSQL...
>
> This is a *major* issue in my opinion that appeared on a May thread
> but I can't see it done on version 7.2.2. Even worst, I can't see
> nothing on the TODO file.
>
> Will this fix finally  appear on 7.3 ? Any ways to work around this ?
> How can I know at least if *something* succeeded, or how many rows
> (the proper behavior)?

I see on TODO:
* Return proper effected tuple count from complex commands [return]

and that "return" link has a discussion of possible fixes.
Unfortunately, no fix was agreed upon so there is no fix in 7.3.

And, on top of that, I can't even think of a workaround.  At best,
perhaps someone can write you a patch to fix this.

Pennsylvania19073