Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL : strange results on insertion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mario Weilguni
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL : strange results on insertion
Date
List pgsql-general
> Time to realize 10000 insertions with PostgreSQL:
>     $time ./test_postgresql
>
>     real  0m28.568s
>     user 0m0.390s
>     sys   0m0.270s
> (between 28 and 30 seconds !!!.... )
>
> Very strange, isn't it ? Is there something in PostgreSQL's C API that I
> didn't understand ? Subtleties during the configuration ? I do not want to
> believe that PostgreSQL is 15 times slower than MySQL ! Thank you for any
> comment, remark and correction!

On my system (compiled for profiling, debugging and slow disk) it takes 2 minutes without transactions, and 4.5 seconds
withtransactions:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <libpq-fe.h>

    #define INSERTION "INSERT INTO test (type_int, type, type_int2, type_text) VALUES (%d,\'essai de chaine
decaractère\',100,\'MAJUSCULESet minuscules\')"

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
PGconn *conn;
unsigned int i;
char mquery[1000];
PGresult *res;

conn=PQconnectdb("dbname=mario");
if (PQstatus(conn) == CONNECTION_OK) {
res=PQexec(conn,"begin");
PQclear(res);
for (i=0;i<=10000;i++) {
sprintf(mquery,INSERTION,i);
res=PQexec(conn,mquery);
if (PQresultStatus(res)!= PGRES_COMMAND_OK) {
printf("sql query error (%s) : %s\n",
    mquery,PQresultErrorMessage(res));
PQclear(res);
res=PQexec(conn,"commit    ");
PQclear(res);
PQfinish(conn);
return 0;
}
}
PQclear(res);
PQfinish(conn);
}
else {
printf("sql connection error :%s\n",PQerrorMessage(conn));
return 0;
}
return 0;
}