Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of $PGPASSWORD - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of $PGPASSWORD
Date
Re: Bug #756: suggestion: file with password instead of $PGPASSWORD  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Wojciech Scigala (pg@wojtus.net) reports a bug with a severity of 4

Short Description
suggestion: file with password instead of $PGPASSWORD

Long Description
This is not a bug-report in fact, but a suggestion of a feature.
(I couldn't find an separate email for suggestions and ideas).
As you know, many people have trouble keeping both secure (passworded) access to PG databased while allowing some
unattendedaccess for them, for example for backing up.
Enviroment variable $PGPASSWORD is very useful here, but sensitive data should not be passed via enviroment. The better
wayto do it is to provide a name of file which contains the password. The file's access rights (if set properly) will
providenecessary security in an easy way. And that's what I'm suggesting - an introdution of new variable, say
$PGPASSWORD_FILEwhich will point to a file with password.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report