Re: possible vacuum improvement? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. OConnor
Subject Re: possible vacuum improvement?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 03 September 2002 23:47, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I have been doing some poking around with this item, and I was
> > planning on
> > using the stats collector to do "intelligent" auto-vacuuming.  I
> > was planning
> > on adding some new columns that account for activity that has taken place
> > since the last vacuum.  The current stats collector shows n_tup_ins,
> > n_tup_upd and n_tup_del for any given rel, but those numbers have
> > nothing to
> > do with what has happened since the last vacuum, hence nothing to do with
> > current status or need for vacuum.
>
> Postgres 7.3-beta has a new function 'pg_stat_reset()' that you can call to
> reset the stats collector after a vacuum...

Just my opinion here, but I don't think having autovac constantly resetting
the stats is a good idea, it means that you lose the current stat
functionality when using autovacuum, and also implies that the stats mean
differnet things if autovac is turned on or off.