Re: I am done - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: I am done
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gavin Sherry wrote:
> Okay, my bad. From my reading of the email exchange, I thought people
> wanted this on -- always. The best solution for this, in my opinion, is to
> have a magic value "off" which the error code lookup translates to some
> number > PANIC.

What do people think?  I thought we needed a way to turn this off,
especially if the queries can be large.  Because ERROR is above LOG in
server_min_messages, I don't think that is a way to fix it.

> Secondly, there is a flaw in the patch. I merged all the
> assign_server_min_messages() and assign_client_min_messages() code to make
> things pretty. Perhaps I shouldn't have (since I left off FATAL and PANIC
> from the list, which I shouldn't have for the prior but should have for
> the latter). So there are a few ways to fix it: allow both functions (+
> the log_min_error_state function) to accept all possible error codes +
> "off" (which does nothing for the first two functions); pass a unique
> number for each function to assign_msglvl() so that we can determine the
> a legal error code for that GUC variable is being assigned; or, just have
> different lists.

I thought it was good you could merge them, but now I remember why I
didn't --- they take different args.

> Now, the first solution is a hack, but it shouldn't actually break
> anything. The second is overkill. The third is the best way to do it but

You can't do the hack.

> as we add more of these kinds of functions (log_min_parse,
> log_min_rewritten? -- I can a use for that) the amount of assign_ code
> will grow linearly and be pretty similar.

I think the second, passing an arg to say whether it is server or
client, will do the trick, though now you need an error one too.  I
guess you have to use #define and set it, or pass a string down with the
GUC variable and test that with strcmp.

Pennsylvania19073