Re: MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 1934906735 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 1934906735
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On August 28, 2002 11:07 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> > Hmm.  I did give it a harder look and look what jumped out.  Both
> > chkpass_out and chkpass_rout return PG_RETURN_CSTRING but chkpass_out
> > builds a standard c string while chkpass_rout builds a variable text
> > structure.  That can't be right.
>
> It's not, but chkpass_rout is declared to return text, so it should be
> saying PG_RETURN_TEXT_P.  It turns out both macros do the same thing,
> so this is just a cosmetic issue.

OK, I will make that cosmetic change.

> > Oh, one more datapoint - the error only happens on vacuum analyze, not
> > just vacuum.  Not sure what that means exactly.
>
> That is odd.  You only have the chkpass operators shown in the contrib
> module, right?  No "chkpass = chkpass" operator?  Without one, vacuum
> analyze should pretty much ignore the chkpass column ...

YES!  Well, sort of.  I didn't have any other operators but while I thought
that both were the same (after all, I contributed it) someone must have fixed
the one in CVS before adding it.  The one I was working with had the
operators working with chkpass on both sides.  As soon as I fixed that it
worked again.

In 7.2 the cstring and chkpass types fail in the function definitions because
they have not been defined so I had to stay with opaque.  In fact, how will
that work in 7.3 anyway?  We declare the functions to take or return a
chkpass before we define it.