Re: C vs. C++ contributions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: C vs. C++ contributions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Marc Lavergne writes:
>
> > This covers a few different sub-projects so I'm breaking it down in
> > order of how I'm going to attack it.
>
> Just to give you a fair warning:  I'm not going to be in favor of adding
> any "Oracle compatibility" functionality that overlaps with existing
> and/or standardized functionality.  That kind of thing would lock us into
> an endless catch-up game and would induce users to code their applications
> to proprietary interfaces.

I think some of the Oracle stuff will have to be turned on to be
enabled, others of it can be on by default.

> I suppose some of the things you propose would be external applications,
> such as the export file reader or the SQL*Net proxy.  The synonym
> functionality would be interesting to add, since there is no existing
> feature of that type.  But random misfeatures such as the join syntax or
> the decode() function are going to have a hard time getting accepted.

But we have decode():
test=> \df decode                      List of functions Result data type |   Schema   |  Name  | Argument data types
row)

Is this a different decode?

Pennsylvania19073