Re: Retrieving the new nextval... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Retrieving the new nextval...
Date
List pgsql-sql
--- friedrich nietzsche <nietzsche_psql@yahoo.it>
wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm in trouble with the same problem, but in PHP..
> With your solution, I cannot be totally sure that
> last
> inserted raw was mine...
> Because I'm on a web page, it could be that, as soon
> as I've inserted my record, another one do an
> insertion, so I would get the wrong ID...

"currval" will return the last value used _for the
current connection_.  But if you want to be absolutely
sure, instead call "nextval" before doing your insert,
and use the returned value explicitly.