Re: Performance Tuning / RAM Usage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Performance Tuning / RAM Usage
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 07:24:31PM -0700, Garo Hussenjian wrote:
> I am running postgresql 7.1.2 on redhat 7.2 and having problems with
> performance... During peak activity, the postgres processes lock up and
> report "UPDATE waiting" (under ps listing) with no light at the end of the
> tunnel.

Are you using referential integrity?  Are you getting deadlocks?  (I
know that the Debian package does not -- or at least didn't used to
-- check for deadlocks at all, so you might have them and not know
it).

> I am really looking to find the best way to configure the database to
> utilize the existing RAM (and any new RAM I may add). Also, to what degree
> will adding memory help the database performance if the select and insert
> operations are mostly disk-intensive?

In order to give you any help, we need more information about your
configuration.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110