Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > I agree with what Tom said, and understand why he said it.  And I thought you
> > did, too -- I have apparently misunderstood (again!) the issue.
> >
> > In the local-enabled scheme, ISTM the majority of users will be local users.
> > The goal is transparent virtual databases -- at least that's what I consider
> > the goal.  As far as the user is concerned, the other databases might as well
> > not even exist -- all they are doing is connecting to their database.  Since
> > they have to give the database name as part of the connection, it just makes
> > sense that they should have the closest to default behavior.
> >
> > In the case of a virtual hosting postmaster, global users would likely be
> > DBA's, although they might not be.  These users are going to be the
> > exception, not the rule -- thus a character to tag their 'exceptional'
> > nature.
> >
> > You may not even want your virtual host local users to realize that there is
> > another user by that name.  Thus, the standard notation is the least
> > intrusive for the very users that need uninstrusive notation.
>
> Has this behaviour been carried through into GRANT and REVOKE?  If the
> object is transparency for local users, it should be possible in
> database "test" to say "GRANT ... TO fred" and have "fred" understood as
> "fred@test".

No changes have been made anywhere except for the username passed by the
client.  All reporting of user names and all administration go by their
full pg_shadow username, so global user dave@ is dave in pg_shadow, and
dave is dave@db1 in pg_shadow.  One goal of this patch was a small
footprint.

> If that is the case, then I will support the current position.
>

> It follows from the objective of transparency that, when reporting a
> user name, local users should be reported without the database suffix,
> i.e., "fred" not "fred@test".  Global users should be reported with the
> trailing "@".  This should cause no problem, because we have no
> cross-database communication; it should be impossible for "george@dummy"
> to have any connection with database "test".

Nope, none of this is done and I don't think there is a demand to do it.

Pennsylvania19073