Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 7.2.2: Security Release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 7.2.2: Security Release
Date
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 7.2.2: Security Release  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 7.2.2: Security Release  (Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
The issue is data-provoked crashes vs. query-invoked crashes.  Marc's
point, and I think it was clear enough, is that you can't just poke at
the TCP port and hope to do anything bad, which was the thrust of the
argument, I think.

Neil Conway wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > On 24 Aug 2002, Neil Conway wrote:
> > > If the application is accepting datetime input from the user ('what's
> > > your birthday?', for example), and isn't doing some non-obvious input
> > > validation on it (namely, checking that the input string isn't too
> > > long), you can crash the backend. Gavin says executing arbitrary code
> > > using the hole would be extremely difficult, but it's at least
> > > conceivable.
> >
> > Right, but you have to get a connection to the backend in order to crash
> > it ... no?
>
> You need to be using an application accepts datetime input from the
> user, and at some point inserts it into the database. For example, if
> you wrote a webapp that accepted datetime input of some kind (to use
> my previous example, the user's birthday), any user of the webapp
> could enter bogus data that would crash the backend.
>
> In this case, the user does not make a connection to the backend (the
> web app does), and does not have the ability to execute arbitrary SQL
> (i.e. it's not a "shared" or "open" system) -- but a security problem
> still exists.
>
> This is in contrast to the other security holes (repeat(), lpad(),
> rpad(), SET TIME ZONE, and TZ env var), in which the probability of
> someone without SQL access being able to exercise the bug is
> negligible.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>

> --