turning off autocommit behavior in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Van Wie
Subject turning off autocommit behavior in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I've been using postgres for a little over a year now, and overall I've
been very pleased with it. Thanks!

The psql client is really nice, but I was frustrated by the lack of a
"no-autocommit" mode. So, I made a few small modifications to the client
to wrap everything in a transaction block automatically. I've been using
it locally for a while, and it seems to work alright. The patch is
attached (it's a patch to the 7.2.1 branch).

Do other people think this is a useful feature?

The one thing that I don't like about the patch, but that I'm not sure how
to handle, is telling the user that one transaction has ended and another
has begun. Currently, I am just printing NOTICE messages ("NOTICE:
aborting current transaction and beginning a new one", for example) but
this seems wrong, since the messages aren't coming from the backend.
Suggestions on how to handle this?

...dave