Re: Mysql -> PgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tommi Maekitalo
Subject Re: Mysql -> PgSQL
Date
Re: Mysql -> PgSQL  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-general
Am Mittwoch, 21. August 2002 20:18 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> Ray Hunter wrote:
> > I am trying to convert a data type in mysql to postgresql and was
> > wondering which one i would use in pgsql.
> >
> > the type is "set" (example):
> >
> > name     set( 'val1', 'val2', 'val3' ) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'val2'
> >
> > How can i do that in pgsql?
>
> Sure:
>
>     x CHAR(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'val2' CHECK (x = 'val1' OR x = 'val2' ...)

Thats not so trivial. The type set can have "zero or more values, each of
which must be chosen from a list of allowed values" (from Mysql-manual). In
PostgreSQL you have to use a details-table for this. This is a nonstandard
feature of Mysql (these people concentrate in creating nonstandard extensions
before supporting the full standard ;-)

Tommi