Re: Problem with timestamp field/time function.. (upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Problem with timestamp field/time function.. (upgrading
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Lucas Brasilino wrote:

>     I'm running postgresql 7.0 with a column like:
>
>                       Table "materia"
>         Column       |           Type           | Modifiers
> --------------------+--------------------------+-----------
>
> materiadata        | timestamp with time zone | not null
> mmateriatitulo      | character varying(80)    | not null
> materiasequencial  | numeric(30,6)            | not null
>

> I used to execute this query:
>
>     select max(time(materiadata)) from materia;
>
> or
>     select materiasequencial, materiatitulo, time(materiadata)
>     from materia
>     order by time(materiadata) desc;
>
>     I've read at PostgreSQL 7.3dev Administrator Guide's Release Notes that
> time() and timestamp() functions in postgresql 7.2 are deprecated (so in
> 7.2.1).
>
>     So, how can I get the same result above without using time() ??
> Or if it not possible, how can I extract (yes, I tried with extract()
> function too) time from a timestamp column?
>     I know it's quite simple question... but I haven't find any clue!

In general you could probably use CAST(materiadata as time) I'd guess.
I believe that at this point you can still use the functions, you just
need to double quote them ("time"(materiadata)) to differentiate them
from the type specifiers.