Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
Re: Open 7.3 items  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
List pgsql-hackers
Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > Well, they aren't separate fields so you can't ORDER BY domain.  The dot
> > was used so it looks like a schema based on dbname.
>
> Sorry, I know it's a single field and that there is no split()
> function (that I'm aware of), but that seems like such a small and
> easy to fix problem that I personally place a higher value on the more
> standard nomeclature and use of an @ sign.  I understand the value of
> . for schemas and whatnot, but isn't a user going to be in their own
> schema to begin with?  As for the order by, I've got a list of users
> per "account" (sales account), so doing the order by is on two columns
> and the pg_shadow table is generated periodically from our inhouse
> tables.  -sc

I have no personal preference between period and @ or whatever.  See if
you can get some other votes for @ because most left @ when the ORDER BY
idea came up from Marc.

As for it being a special character, it really isn't because the code
prepends the database name and a period.  It doesn't look to see if
there is a period in the already or anything.

Pennsylvania19073