Re: Postgres performance slowly gets worse over a month - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tim Ellis
Subject Re: Postgres performance slowly gets worse over a month
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 08 Aug 2002 14:06:57 -0400
"Robert M. Meyer" <rmeyer@installs.com> wrote:

> Back on July 23, I posted on our performance problem.  At that time, I
> got several suggestions about what to do to try to fix it.  Well, it's
> happening again...
> [snip]
> Any other suggestions?  We're looking to do something soon before the
> load gets out of hand.

With all due respect, the depth of your problem indicates to me you need a
database administrator. Someone who understands the database and the
hardware and performance/tuning principles.

(in case you think I'm hinting about something, I'm not available for work
right now -- you really do need to hire/contract a DBA sort)

> One of the suggestions was
> to use 'pgmonitor' to keep watch over what's happening but transaction
> go through too quickly and nothing seems to tie the system up for any
> period of time.  We also notice that while the load keeps increasing,
> the actual CPU time is very small.  We'll see loads above 3 with each
> CPU (we have two) sitting with 80%+ idle time.

First guess: analyze your queries. It's gotten me through a number of
problems that sound just like this. As the data set grows, a poorly formed
query will chew more and more I/O time.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect