Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 23:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > > How hard would it be to change pg_proc.proargtypes from oidvector to _oid
> >
> > Lack of btree index support for _oid would be the first hurdle.
>
> Is that index really needed, or is it there just to enforce uniqueness ?

Needed to look up functions based on their args.

The big issue of using arrays is that we don't have cache capability for
variable length fields.  Until we get that, we are stuck with
NAMEDATALEN taking the full length, and oidvector taking the full
length.

And if we went with variable length, there may be a performance penalty.

Pennsylvania19026