Re: WAL file location - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: WAL file location
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > > I am wondering why we even want to specify the WAL location anywhere
> > > except as a flag to initdb.  If you specify a location at initdb time,
> > > it creates the /xlog directory, then symlinks it into /data.
> > Does this have any negative implications for Win32 ports?
>
> Sure. the symlinks thing was just a suggestion. Everything else is
> portable for sure... Or is there some other area you are concerned
> about?

I was just wondering why we would deal with environment variables or
postgresql.conf settings.  Just make it an initdb flag, create it in the
desired location with a symlink in /data and then we don't have to do
any more work for WAL locations unless people want to move it around
after then initdb'ed, in which case they have to do it manually.

Pennsylvania19026