Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations
Date
Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations  (Richard Tucker <richt@multera.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev@SECTORBASE.COM> writes:
> >> It should be sufficient to force a checkpoint when you
> >> start and when you're done --- altering normal operation in between is
> >> a bad design.
>
> > But you have to prevent log files reusing while you copy data files.
>
> No, I don't think so.  If you are using PITR then you presumably have
> some process responsible for archiving off log files on a continuous
> basis.  The backup process should leave that normal operational behavior
> in place, not muck with it.

But what if you normally continuous LOG to tape, and now you want to
backup to tape.  You can't use the same tape drive for both operations.
Is that typical?  I know sites that had only one tape drive that did
that.

Pennsylvania19026