Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations
Date
Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations  (Richard Tucker <richt@multera.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev@SECTORBASE.COM> writes:
>> It should be sufficient to force a checkpoint when you
>> start and when you're done --- altering normal operation in between is
>> a bad design.

> But you have to prevent log files reusing while you copy data files.

No, I don't think so.  If you are using PITR then you presumably have
some process responsible for archiving off log files on a continuous
basis.  The backup process should leave that normal operational behavior
in place, not muck with it.