Re: getpid() function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Subject Re: getpid() function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 05:09:52PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
>  I know -- for this I asked. IMHO for large project like PostgreSQL
>  it's important. It's not good if there is possible speculate about
>  name of new function. It must be unmistakable -- for this is needful
>  make some convension. If somebody add new function and it's released,
>  it's in the PostgreSQL almost forever.

I agree that a naming convention would be useful in some circumstances,
but for commonly-used functions, I think it would do more harm than
good. 'pg_nextval()' is awfully ugly, for example.

And if we're going to have a naming convention for builtin functions,
what about builtin types? 'pg_int4', anyone? :-)

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>