Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Marc, how are you dealing with libpq's access to the server include
> > > files?
> >
> > I haven't touched libpq yet ... I'm talking with the libpqxx guys right
> > now concerning getting the standalone libpqxx to work, and will be working
> > on figuring out how to get the 'master configure' to make use of the
> > standalone configure once that is fixed ... I want to get one module to
> > work cleanly before looking at any others ...
>
> But isn't libpq++ just going to be part of interfaces?

Huh?  Each module is to be designed as a standalone project/distribution
... in order to appease those that don't feel that the change is worth it,
I'm making, essentially, a 'meta-module' that will pull in the seperate
modules into what you've all gotten used to from a development standpoint

If you checkout pgsql, you will see what you are used to seeing, locally
stored in pgsql

If you checkout libpqxx, you will just get libpqxx, locally stored in
libpqxx

If you checkout interfaces, you will get all of the interfaces listed in a
'meta module' consisting of the various interfaces, locally stored in a
directory of pgsql/src/interfaces/*

For those that are used to cheking out pgsql, continue to do so ... for
ppl like Jergeon(sp?), he will checkout libpqxx itself and work on it as
if it were a standalone project, but when we package up pgsql, it will get
pulled in along with everything else, so that for those that have nothing
better to do then download everyhting and the kitchen sink, they can ...

At the same time as the distribution is made, a libpqxx.tar.gz will be
created, that will be a self-contained source tree for just that, so that
those doing ports on the *BSDs or rpms/etc on Linux have pretty much
pre-made distros that they don't have to slice and dice (ie. for FreeBSD,
you'd do something like go into /usr/ports/database/pgsql-libpqxx, type
'make' and it would automatically go out, download libpq.tar.gz, install
it as a dependency and then grab and install the libpqxx file ... if you
had already installed libpq previously, for mod_php4, for example, then it
would just download and install the libpqxx tar file) ...

Unless I break something along the way, as far as you are concerned,
nothing has changed ... just keep checking out pgsql as you always have
... but for those of us that pay for our bandwidth by the byte, we'll now
be able to download *only* what we require, saving us both time and money